Panaramic view

Fountains Abbey With Studley Royal  | OS Grid Ref: 428399,469690  | Site classified as: Estate  | HPG Ref: 60027

Map Evidence

1856/7 OS
Complex shown.
1909 OS
As above including avenues, oak line, bridges, lodges, gated entrance, footpaths, woodlands, weirs, lakes, stables, menagerie, St Mary's Church, named walks, water gardens, Chinese garden, Abbey, remains of old manor house.
1956 OS Sheet SE 26 NE

Extract from Site Visit report

Site Description: Estate
Site Access: Ripon Rowel route runs through Deer Park. Footpaths.
Visibility: NT property open to public
Micro climate: Sheltered valley of river Skell
North boundary: Stone walls
Buildings: Stable block, now private house; Lodge gates; Fountains Abbey complex; Mill; Fountains Hall; St Mary's church
Walkways / Gateways / Paths etc: Many including: main avenue lined with limes; oak avenue near route of ancient road; walk along river Skell – Seven Bridges
Water features: 18thC landscaped water garden; man-made lake round river Skell
Other man-made features: Many follies, rides, views, avenues
Planting: Many specimen trees
General Condition: Still managed as deer park: 3 herds of Sika, Fallow and Red deer
Possible contact: NT
Local knowledge: NT guide books
Recommendations: Further investigation required
Other comments: None
Recorder: DC/PAW
Date: 2/07

Links to related sites

In monastic times this site, together with Fountains Park formed part of the wider Fountains Abbey Monastic Estate .
John Aislabie built How Hill Tower as a folly adjacent to the site of a former monastic chapel.
In the wider Studley Park are found Two Ice Houses that have been restored by the National Trust.

An entry for Studley Royal can be found on The Parks and Gardens UK website here.
The UNESCO World Heritage web site holds an entry for Studley Royal Park including the Ruins of Fountains Abbey, which can be found here.

Additional Information

A large complex structure (estate) is shown on 1856/7 OS map, and also 1909 OS map, including Chinese garden, lake, abbey et al.
The features were developed by John Aislabie in the early part of the 18th century as a landscape garden.
The National Trust have since 1986 been responsible for the maintenance of the site.

Extract from 1851 OS map centred on Site
Extract from OS Landranger map centred on Site
Extract from Google Map image map centred on Site
St.Mary's church
The Banqueting House
The Lake (before dredging)
View showing the Lake with the ornamental canal beyond.
The Octagon Tower (folly).
"Rough Bridge" spans a dry valley in the NE of Studley Royal Park.
It is possible that the bridge is on the route of a medieval trackway.
The Aislabie Gardens Tour, a document from the HPG group concerning Studley Royal and Hackfall
This page shows (where available) a description of the site and the findings made by the group.
Links to other documents or web pages may also be shown.
If the link is to an image
It will be shown reduced in size.

If the link is to a web page or document
(e.g. a pdf or word file) it will be represented by an appropriate icon.

Clicking on the image or icon will do the following:

For images and links to web pages
A new tab or window opens containing the image or web page.
To return to this page, close the new tab or window.

For documents
This is handled in the way that this PC or device has been configured.

© Historic Parks and Gardens Study Group, 2006- All rights reserved
Acknowledgements to and Ryan Seddon ( for providing web site design including (but not limited to) the menu and email functions.