Complex including remains of motte & bailey castle,avenue of yews, evidence of 7 bridges, large ponds, remains of ornamental sculptures, wells, box hedge.
As above but more detail.
Site Description: Park
Site Access: Public footpath on map no longer exists. Access by appointment only with owners.
Visibility: Not visible from public road, limited visibility from footpath to E
Micro climate: Thickly wooded valley, sheltered
North boundary: Metal fence, 1m high
South boundary: Hedge 3m high, posts for fence, wall and ornamental railings near road
East boundary: Post and wire mesh fence, and hedge
West boundary: Churchyard, gardens of other properties, walled in part
Buildings: Two houses, N and S of beck
Walkways / Gateways / Paths etc: Two wide paths allowing vehicle access to houses, gateways at entrances W and SE, some traces of former paths
Water features: Stone banking in places along beck running through. Several ponds, some restored. Wells and hydraulic pumping system.
Other man-made features: Ruins of 'temple' garden folly. Motte of medieval castle. Small quarries for gravel extraction.
Natural features: Steep sloping valley with Kex Beck running through
Planting: Some yews and other specimen trees, eg cherries, and shrubs, eg dogwood, snowberry, rhododendrons. Snowdrops and aconites.
General Condition: Very overgrown and thickly wooded with mostly self seeded trees
Other comments: Formerly part of the Mowbray House estate.
Park shown on 1851 OS map, with driveways, lakes, footbridges and an island in the River Skell.
To the south of the river is the 'site of Mowbray Castle'.
Located between Greets Bridge and the village of Kirkby Malzeard.
The estate formerly belonged to Mowbray House Estate, which was sold in the early 1950's.
Clicking on the image or icon will do the following:
For images and links to web pages
A new tab or window opens containing the image or web page.
To return to this page, close the new tab or window.