Indication of walled gardens to the south of property.
Gardens to south reconfigured and developed. Possible glass houses to the south. Possible orchard to the north.
1956 OS (SE 27 SE)
Site Description: Walled garden
Site Access: Bridleway to N and footpath to E.
Parking: Galphay village
Micro climate: Open, sheltered from N and W by bank and trees
North boundary: Stone wall, opening in wall
South boundary: Stone wall, gateway in wall
East boundary: Stone wall
West boundary: Stone wall All walls about 1m high
Walkways / Gateways / Paths etc: New ornamental wooden gate
Other man-made features: Grass tennis court
General Condition: Good
Local knowledge: Spoke to present owner on earlier visit
Other comments: Present owner states house and grounds derelict when he bought it, and all improvements made by him. Walled area may have been a vegetable plot in the past. No evidence of former ornamental garden.
Evidence of a walled garden laid out to south of the hall, shown on 1856 OS map. The layout is also shown on 1909 OS map, but only the wall boundaries are extant now, and there is no sign of any formal garden structure. Many old-looking features on the house and around the garden have been fashioned in the late 20th century.
Clicking on the image or icon will do the following:
For images and links to web pages
A new tab or window opens containing the image or web page.
To return to this page, close the new tab or window.