Site Description: Designed Landscape
Site Access: National Trust land with permissive path
Visibility: Clear from road and site access
Micro climate: Exposed
North boundary: Fenced field
Buildings: 17thC 'card' house with more recent farmhouse additions.
Walkways / Gateways / Paths etc: Grass cart track
Water features: Pond at bottom of hill on E. side.
Natural features: Small hillock
Planting: 2 standing groups of 5 & 7 veteran trees mainly Beech with 2 Oaks.
Third group to W. of property 1 fallen, 3 veteran. Other groups of younger trees, beech & oak lower down.
General Condition: Neglected.
Possible contact: National Trust.
Local knowledge: National Trust archaeologist
Land donated to Fountains Abbey 1134
It is asserted that the tower is the first building of Aislabie's Studley designed landscape 1713
Other comments: NT redeveloping farm buildings on site for self -catering accommodation
How Hill Tower is linked to Fountains Abbey With Studley Royal as it was built as a folly by William Aislabie who owned and developed the Studley Royal parklands in the latter part of the 18thC.
It was also within the larger Fountains Park monastic enclosure.
How Hill Tower can be considered to be a folly, built by John Aislabie in 1713 by enhancing an old chapel ruin to become an eyecatcher for his developing landscape.
It is shown on 1856/57 OS map as the ruin of St Michael de Monte.
The land was donated to Fountains Abbey in 1134.
Clicking on the image or icon will do the following:
For images and links to web pages
A new tab or window opens containing the image or web page.
To return to this page, close the new tab or window.