Deer Park more extensive than indicated by grid references
Sun Dial at Brimham Lodge, with possible gardens
1956 OS SE 26 SW
Site Description: Deer Park
Site Access: Bridleways and footpath
Visibility: Clear but distant as a historical area now devoted to pasture, small fields, dry stone walls with mature trees
Micro climate: Exposed
Buildings: Various farms including Brimham Lodge and Brimham Hall Farm, which was possibly an early hunting lodge for Abbotts of Fountains.
Walkways / Gateways / Paths etc: N/A
Planting: Grassland with groups of trees
General Condition: N/A
Possible contact: N/A
Local knowledge: 1856 map shows circular outline of Park area. Brimham Lodge was rebuilt by Abbott Huby.
Other comments: None
On 1856/57 OS map 'The Park' is shown northwest of Brimham Lodge. It was originally a deer park, more extensive than shown on the map.
On the 1909 OS map, a sun dial and possible garden layout is indicated.
Today it is a property of the National Trust and the park boundaries are indistinguishable in the farming landscape.
Clicking on the image or icon will do the following:
For images and links to web pages
A new tab or window opens containing the image or web page.
To return to this page, close the new tab or window.