1854 OS 6 inch (National Library of Scotland web site)
Shown as 2 discrete buildings.
To West, "Hall Lair".
To East "Site of Blubberhouses Hall".
1891 OS 25 inch (National Library of Scotland web site)
Both buildings extended Hall Lair no longer named.
To West plot 180 acreage 0.338.
To East grounds and gardens shown, plot 177 acreage 2.001.
1909 OS 25 inch (National Library of Scotland web site)
To West plot 177 acreage 1.885.
To East formal gardens no longer obvious plot 180 acreage 0.334.
Site Description: Garden, site of
Site Access: Footpath passing to S of grounds
Micro climate: Sheltered
North boundary: Stone wall
South boundary: Wall & holly hedge, yew, gate
East boundary: High stone wall
West boundary: Not known
Buildings: None visible
Walkways / Gateways / Paths etc: Garden/orchard remodelled
Planting: Lots of new planting incl conifers
General Condition: Not known
Local knowledge: None
Other comments: Garden remodelled; security cameras, 24-hr CCTV, high gates
Built mid 19th century by Lady Emily Payne-Gallwey as a shooting box for her grandson Thomas de Grey, 6th Lord Walsingham by the architect Edward Burton Lamb. Later known as Venture House, a centre for Scouts, now a private house.
Parsons, D. 2014 The book of the Washburn Valley. Halsgrove
Clicking on the image or icon will do the following:
For images and links to web pages
A new tab or window opens containing the image or web page.
To return to this page, close the new tab or window.